Why THIS Blog

This Blog is designed to be a virtual retreat with daily reflections geared toward the public as well as specifically for the community of women at Church of Mary Magdalene / Mary's Place for homeless women. It is a site that pulls from the words of the women themselves on what they would like in a retreat if they could go somewhere else for a time. In this retreat we will do some globe trotting, based solely on my own travels as a spiritual director who enjoys volunteering for Mary's. All are welcome on our journey, in this era of financial woes there are many who need retreat and are unable to afford to travel. I hope this proves to be one more source of unending gift of spiritual retreat for renewal of life: mind-body-spirit!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Albi – Alberto – Amico – Gioco


My dear little friend Alberto is 7 years old and a whirlwind of energy. One of my favorite sounds in Piegaro is his sweet little voice saying “Lisa chase me” or “Lisa, let’s play soccer” or even out of the midst of a group of children I hear his sing-sing voice “ciao Lisa.” He totally has me charmed, and because I am not as young or graceful as I used to be, generally injured from too much play. Albi is my surprising source of much reflection.

First reflection, how do we stay young and appreciate the gift of play and joy? It is through children we are often reminded of the importance of laughter and joy in our lives, in the world. Scientists say that children laugh 50 times more than adults…and that laughter is one of the healthiest things we do. A big part of biblical teaching is to love our neighbors as ourselves and isn’t that so much easier when we are actively engaged in play?

Second is how to be so open to relationship with people of all ages. As noted earlier, Albi is open to welcoming me when I am the only one to play with, but also when in a group of playmates his own age. He is always ready to greet. The fact that my language barrier is here makes it even more precious to me, what a guy!

Third one that had me thinking for a while was something that I read a few months back, that our personalities are formed by the age of 7. Basically, the essential parts of who we are have been established long before most of us have started thinking about “self” and self analyzing. Long before we start worrying about how others perceive us, we are complete people. It was interesting to reflect that I was either shying away in a corner or dancing about the room, hmmmm perhaps that little bit of science is right…so why worry with all the self-help books, and not just life in our skins to the fullest of our createdness??? Children under 7 do, and their beautiful voices are like magnets inviting us to play and live life in laughter.

When we look at the expanse of time, for those of us who believe in eternity, this time we have on earth is so brief. It seems like it would benefit us all to live it as a child, with abandon, open to the potential of joy around us. As we see children, we should remember that our souls are young, we are learning and growing as children of our eternal God. Forever Young.

How do you enjoy the children in your life?
How/can do you embrace the child you were and are today?
In the great expanse of eternal life, how do you live in child-like wonder and grace?



No comments:

Post a Comment