Why THIS Blog

This Blog is designed to be a virtual retreat with daily reflections geared toward the public as well as specifically for the community of women at Church of Mary Magdalene / Mary's Place for homeless women. It is a site that pulls from the words of the women themselves on what they would like in a retreat if they could go somewhere else for a time. In this retreat we will do some globe trotting, based solely on my own travels as a spiritual director who enjoys volunteering for Mary's. All are welcome on our journey, in this era of financial woes there are many who need retreat and are unable to afford to travel. I hope this proves to be one more source of unending gift of spiritual retreat for renewal of life: mind-body-spirit!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Return of the Celtic Menace

Learning to speak a language is one thing, however after living in the community of Piegaro off and on for over a year now, people are not just asking about my learning of the language, but do I want to be Italian. I would never have thought that people who have an ancestry that goes back thousands of years in this countryside would ask a newcomer this question. Knowing so many immigrants over the course of my life in the United States, that seemed normal in a new country, but struck me as odd in this ancient land. How I got to Piegaro has been a subject of discussion for a while, we are all sure it is God’s doing, but why does this place feels like home is something some of us have talked about.

My friend and Italian sister, has been convinced for months that somehow my blood was calling me home to this place. Her first idea was that my place of birth being in Europe was important. Then came the issue of my brown eyes, which were not reflective the celtic and northern European lineage, I had decided they must be a result of the Roman conquests into Britain, but possibly the Spaniards into Ireland...and then, and then we did a little road trip from Rome north along the Mediterranean into Tuscany and back to beautiful Piegaro. Ahhhh, now my Italian sister is sure that my brown eyes are not Roman, but Etruscan which is why I am here, living in Piegaro.

In our travels north it was insisted upon that we visit a historical town away from the sea, Torquina. It is the southern-most Etruscan city, not in Tuscany or Umbria, but rather in the Roman state of Lazio. As we wandered through the museum there were the words that would be my new namesake “Celtic Menace” they had invaded from the north in the 4th century, and their influence is evident throughout the city. In Celtic style crosses, earthy/nature symbols, and in patterns in the stonework, their influence is easily seen.

This new story seemed to be the opposite of the rape and pillage image of Roman invaders leaving poor unsuspecting waifs carrying brown-eyed children into the family line. No my beautifully romantic Italian friend dreamt of a vision of the Celts coming into this land, loving its people and bringing them home to the emerald isles in their embrace. My newfound home of Piegaro is in the center of Etruscan lands, and my friend is sure that something in my blood flows from here. It is a very tangible and romantic view that could give me a literal history that would tie me to this soil.

Yet, my older lady friends don’t ask questions of heritage, they just ask if….if I want to be Italian. They seek to know how I feel. They are living very much in the present. They also have scolded me on a couple of occasions on my reaction to the overtly flirtatious things men say. They want to teach me not only the Italian language, but how to be a strong Italian woman, men would never say that sort of thing to them they say. WE need to teach you Italian! Beyond the words into the way of being, slowly they are doing just this is, as guide me through the fields in search of the food God has provided for free for the taking, in gathering in community to clean and sort such food for future use, and in the sharing of food, a cafĂ© here, freshly prepared local specialties there. It was welcoming for me to be able to participate in these activities and for the women to note I did like their simple life, their life tied to the earth, and they ask, do you want to be Italian? I feel welcomed and blessed.

It is as my dear sister says, my blood has called me, my soul soars here. The Celtic Menace has returned and found a place among the Etruscans, a place where our worship is one long prayer of miracles, where our attachment to the earth is peaceful, and where the love of mischief and longing for relationship seem to go hand in hand. Ah those darn Etruscans, and those menacing Celts, it feels good to return to this soil insieme, together with my dear friends!
What do you know, or want to know of your cultural or historical background?
Who do you want to be?
How do you self identify, and see your soul in this identification?

1 comment: