Why THIS Blog

This Blog is designed to be a virtual retreat with daily reflections geared toward the public as well as specifically for the community of women at Church of Mary Magdalene / Mary's Place for homeless women. It is a site that pulls from the words of the women themselves on what they would like in a retreat if they could go somewhere else for a time. In this retreat we will do some globe trotting, based solely on my own travels as a spiritual director who enjoys volunteering for Mary's. All are welcome on our journey, in this era of financial woes there are many who need retreat and are unable to afford to travel. I hope this proves to be one more source of unending gift of spiritual retreat for renewal of life: mind-body-spirit!

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Waning Days....of Summer

It is October, and yet here in Umbria we can still swim in the pool, this is not normal for this region, but has been appreciated by many. Because of the early arrival of summer and its late departure the grapes are said to be their best this year for wine, it is superior, however, the cost is that there are fewer grapes because so many dried on the vines. In order to get this intense quality, there is a cost.
Nothing which is so good in life comes without a cost. In the past couple of months I have been studying St. Francis and the Franciscan order. When most people think of St. Francis they think of nature and peace, but few think of penance. It is an penitent order, where acknowledging shortcomings in our eternal relationship with God and with others is a prominent practice. As I returned to the Catholic faith it was important for me to partake in the sacrament of confession. Confession is truly good for the soul and something I that had been important to me previously, but it came with new challenges in my life here in Italy.
First of all, I don’t feel comfortable speaking in Italian all the concerns of my heart, and still remain more silent then responsive in many conversations. My friend took me to my first confession, as well as my second, therefore, in Assisi, where there are priests who hear the confession in English. Later I would go again when with a group a tourists in Assisi, each time a different priest from a different country, but all were Franciscan. Having been to theology school, none of them said anything I hadn’t heard before, and yet their insight and wisdom was truly gracious, and a divine gift from God. A common word was patience, something almost every American needs to learn, and quite certainly me. The sweetest wisdom came from an American Franciscan priest who reminded me of the wisdom of St. Francis that we are blessed in our penance (confession) because our loving God always forgives, and therefore we can leave with peace and love into the world. God gives us a gift, and we can give our joy in return. The cost of sin and harming ourselves and others has been paid at a great cost, but the resulting grace is superior to all things, it is Love. In humbleness we come before God, through Jesus we go out in glory, with the Holy Spirit to guide us we can share that love of God with others.
As summer wanes in this its last week here in Piegaro, this weekend the weather is to change for us, it is a reminder of for me to enjoy the grace, the beauty of our creator. I see the joy in the children playing in the sunshine, in the men and women chatting in the Piazza, and in the rolling green hills of Umbria.
How do you experience penance and forgiveness? When you experience great gifts, do you always note the costs? or when you are struggling with difficulties, can you find reward? How do you become “new” after sin or harming self or others? Is it easy or difficult for you to be a joyous penitent?

No comments:

Post a Comment