Why THIS Blog

This Blog is designed to be a virtual retreat with daily reflections geared toward the public as well as specifically for the community of women at Church of Mary Magdalene / Mary's Place for homeless women. It is a site that pulls from the words of the women themselves on what they would like in a retreat if they could go somewhere else for a time. In this retreat we will do some globe trotting, based solely on my own travels as a spiritual director who enjoys volunteering for Mary's. All are welcome on our journey, in this era of financial woes there are many who need retreat and are unable to afford to travel. I hope this proves to be one more source of unending gift of spiritual retreat for renewal of life: mind-body-spirit!

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Contenti / Content

Female pastors are quite rare in Italy, and more than one person asked over the course of my year in Piegaro what I did as a pastor. But the greatest honor for me came toward the end of my time there when I was speaking with a friend about the work we both did and as I hesitated over what I did outside of worship as a pastor she lighted up and said, you make people “contenti” basically content. But the interesting thing is that the word contenti is used so often where we would use the word happy, which translates to auguri. It is more common to wish for, to wish for others to be content.
I really like the idea of contentment as a goal, as ironic high point, a high point without the pressure of being at the “top”. In America we often seek a euphoric happiness, we want happily ever after, if you will. to always be joyful. But life is life, it throws us tragedy and hardship more than we like, making happiness as a goal sort of impossible. But contentment, to be satisfied, seems not only more attainable, but calm and tranquil. Which, was what I told everyone who asked me, the reason for going to sweet, dear little Piegaro in the first place. This small, quaint village offered me the gift of calm repose and tranquility. There may not have been an over-abundance of anything in this little hamlet, and perhaps that is what made it oh so content for me.
The work of contentment, is simply to do the Golden Rule, to love others. It is every person of faiths aspiration I think, but not an easy task and one we all fall short of from time to time in our daily lives. It is so much more important than a job or a title because it is something that can be applied in whatever job we choose. As I have returned to the U.S. recently it is important for me to be content that whatever job I do, even the job of looking for a job, the work of contenti is there. How to bring a peaceful, welcoming contentment to all that is done. It inspires calmness within, which is hard when we worry, race and continually challenge ourselves to be the top. The goal is different, it is relational, acknowledging the spirit that unites us all is important in all our actions.
My friend gave me a gift when she said my work was to help others be content, contenti, she reminded me what was the most important thing about the work I had been doing for the past dozen years. As I move onto different work, no longer the pastor, this knowledge inspires me to take the best of that work forward, always seeking contentment for myself and for all.
What words of others have set you free in times of change or transition?
How do you find contentment, share contentment?
What would you choose as a defining word for your work, for the job of living?

No comments:

Post a Comment