Why THIS Blog

This Blog is designed to be a virtual retreat with daily reflections geared toward the public as well as specifically for the community of women at Church of Mary Magdalene / Mary's Place for homeless women. It is a site that pulls from the words of the women themselves on what they would like in a retreat if they could go somewhere else for a time. In this retreat we will do some globe trotting, based solely on my own travels as a spiritual director who enjoys volunteering for Mary's. All are welcome on our journey, in this era of financial woes there are many who need retreat and are unable to afford to travel. I hope this proves to be one more source of unending gift of spiritual retreat for renewal of life: mind-body-spirit!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Dancing through Life

One of my cousins says her first memory of me at the age of 2 was that I was constantly dancing. Whenever my emotions are high there is nothing like the sweet relief of dancing. A fond memory with another cousin was when we were teenagers, teaching him to dance in the hayloft of the barn, so sweet to share my love of dance with my dear cousin, a strong emotional bond! With the celebration of new faith, many people were noting that I was emotional, which is not a bad thing here in Italy, just an observation.

Saturday night was a wonderful night of dancing for me, my friend Roberta and I had schemed to hit two local dances in one evening; the one here in town at Bar Fortuna, and one on Mount Arale, both outside under the stars and full moon. At last month's dance at Bar Fortuna I gained a new dance partner, Aldo, who is the father of my friend Omar and is equally likeable and a great dancer. For me nothing calms the soul more than a partner who is as content to see me and have a person to dance the night away with as I am. Having danced with Omar previously, it is easy to dance with Aldo, his steps are the same, sweetly familiar, no work, no worry involved.

For me there is a state of grace involved in dancing, when I was young it was nervous energy that propelled me to move and sway with the rhythm of the music. When my children were young it was a way to connect and joyously be with my loves, and now it was one more way to celebrate the love of God, the mystery of new life, and my utter contentment of being in this land that makes my heart sing.

What are ways you use to physicalize the joy of God?
What are ways you use to work out all of your emotions?
How you literally and figuratively dance through life?
Sorry for photos from winter - don't carry camera to summer dances

No comments:

Post a Comment