Why THIS Blog

This Blog is designed to be a virtual retreat with daily reflections geared toward the public as well as specifically for the community of women at Church of Mary Magdalene / Mary's Place for homeless women. It is a site that pulls from the words of the women themselves on what they would like in a retreat if they could go somewhere else for a time. In this retreat we will do some globe trotting, based solely on my own travels as a spiritual director who enjoys volunteering for Mary's. All are welcome on our journey, in this era of financial woes there are many who need retreat and are unable to afford to travel. I hope this proves to be one more source of unending gift of spiritual retreat for renewal of life: mind-body-spirit!

Friday, December 2, 2011

Buon Lavoro – Good Work

Buon Lavoro is not easily translated into English, simply because we don’t always wish someone a well or good time working in our culture, Buon Lavoro is literally “good work.” Just as one might say good day (buon giorno), have a nice walk (buon passegio), rest well (buon reposo), folks here in Italy will also send out a greeting of “buon lavoro.” This is interesting to me because I have heard the greeting when I was crocheting (which I always considered passing the time), working in the garden, and when helping my friend Colleen with her touring guests. The term buon lavoro covered paid and unpaid work, as well as when someone was in the act of creating something, such as a crocheted baby gift.
This had me reflecting on the nature of work as a specific necessity in life that it is important enough to always wish someone well in the act of carrying out. In America we are often identified by our paid jobs, by our work, it is a priority. We have long been blessed with an opportunity to often choose the type of work we would like to do in order to make a living. But given these tough economic times it can very depressing, literally depressing, sending folks into clinical depression when they lose their careers, their jobs of choice, or for the young, not even able to launch them. Myself, I am here in Italy on spiritual retreat reflecting on life in general: how to rest, how to relate, how to fully live spiritually, love authentically and finally how to work meaningfully. Now that my sabbatical time is ending, this means looking at paid job options.
Meaningful work, hmmm, for me there are many aspects floating on this topic. I no longer want my work to define exactly who I am, which I think I have done in the past, but to trivialize its importance is not helpful either. To have a work that in some way helps God’s creation is vital for me as a self identified religious person. However, it has always been a treat to me to experience the blessing in the work of others such as the mechanic who prepared my car for a long journey free because he wished me safe travels, or the barista who offered not only coffee but good listening skills when I needed to verbally process life’s trials, and all those who work to create alternative energy sources that make me feel better about my use of electricity and vehicles that can pollute God’s earth. Meaningful work makes life better not only for me in providing the essentials in life: food, shelter, water, but also in care for others.
As I approached the end of my year here in Italy it was time to decide whether to stay here to live forever, which makes my heart sing, or return to America, my homeland. Paid employment was part of the decision. After much contemplation of my life here, where I lived off of sales of earthly goods, retirement funds, etc. in America without the need to work, I realized my natural inclination is to assist others when they needed help. For tourists, and friends I will carry, clean, guide, listen to and cook for as asked. I am a natural in care-giving professions, and so plan to stay connected to faith communities that offer care to those in need. God has given me these skills and I will continue to use them to the service of others. Never will the fate of being a rocket scientist, an accountant, or business professional, all so worthy endeavors, be mine. It is not my destiny to take up a new career at this stage of life.
Yet there were other aspects to work that were important in the decision making as well. Here, in Italy I am an immigrant, in a world facing economic hardship one factor was simply choosing to work outside the USA. One thing in common in a struggling world is the questions around immigrants working in countries with fewer jobs. As my son would say, “who wants to be one of “those guys” – it is not like my homeland has over 50% unemployment, or the average family earns less than $500 a year. Although things seem bad now in America, they have not reached a level that has been familiar in other countries for decades. Taking a job that could belong to a local in need is a consideration of caring. I love my neighbors here in Piegaro and I wouldn’t want to harm anyone in any way.
Lastly, something that struck me by surprise in chatting with some friends in America, I discovered that my current work (which pays EXTREMELY little) of writing these blogs was of value to them. The primary reason for writing my blog was to be a virtual spiritual retreat for those who could not afford a spiritual retreat, be they women from Mary’s Place for homeless, or any other person occupying this planet of ours. Sharing stories and inviting people into reflecting on faith and relationships made and cherished. It is good to know that work is valued by others because that means it is serving one of its main purposes. In my return to Italy this week, I resumed writing, which had been postponed for other work in the past 2 months, a great tool for spiritual discernment of final choices, what location do I need to be in to do this work, and how can I accomplish it while in the activity of a paying job? Thanks to friends in the USA I had been given the gift of "buon lavoro" in different words…
Good work, just as passing the time in seeing the beauty of God’s creation can happen anywhere. How we look at all our options, look at all the issues essential to us is what makes for defining moments in the choices we make. It is in looking at all the benefits to ourselves and others that gives a greater richness of meaning to the work we do. Just as choices are to be made in my life, they are the same choices that are to be made in all of our lives, factors of culture and place give more richness of nuance, but ultimately it is always the essentials of our spirits that should guide our decisions.
How do you view the work you do? In what ways do you have choices for work? Where do you see the grace, blessing, or the good in the work you do? If you are in the process of looking for a job, how do reflect on your life and self as more than a worker, but still good with work?

No comments:

Post a Comment