Why THIS Blog

This Blog is designed to be a virtual retreat with daily reflections geared toward the public as well as specifically for the community of women at Church of Mary Magdalene / Mary's Place for homeless women. It is a site that pulls from the words of the women themselves on what they would like in a retreat if they could go somewhere else for a time. In this retreat we will do some globe trotting, based solely on my own travels as a spiritual director who enjoys volunteering for Mary's. All are welcome on our journey, in this era of financial woes there are many who need retreat and are unable to afford to travel. I hope this proves to be one more source of unending gift of spiritual retreat for renewal of life: mind-body-spirit!

Monday, December 12, 2011

Twofer Special for the Celebrating

When the time for my cressima (Christening) and first communion in the Catholic Church came, it was mentioned by many that how special it was that I was able to accomplish two sacraments at the same time. Back in the states it would be known as a twofer, I got two great things for one price, can’t beat that deal anywhere! Now the fact that I am over 40 and most people take a couple of years to go through this process as youth less than half my age did give me an advantage to secure this deal, as well as 5 years of theology school at a Catholic University. It wasn’t quite an instantaneous special, but it was special, and I appreciated the effort of my priests and friends in securing this so quickly, especially because it was done with the intent to celebrate on a feast day for Mary, mother of Christ, mother of all.
Celebrating with Mary meant so much to me, it truly was she who called me back into the faith of my family’s history. It was the eternal call of the maternal who understood the glory of saying “yes” to the awesomeness of motherhood in a greater way than even we do, it is also she who grieves as a mother whose child suffers the pains of life. Mary, the mother who was there from before the birth of Jesus saying her faithful “yes” to God, and Mary who was named and present for the birth of the Christian church, celebrating the everlasting trinity of Christ, Spirit and God. Mary embodies eternity for me, the before Christ and after resurrection, the ultimate twofer.
However, when multiple people started speaking (joking) of yet another, a follow-up twofer; I got a bit nervous. For those who don’t know, the next two sacraments would be to enter into a religious order and marriage. For me this was way too rapid for my life in this place in time. Although I have been studying the various Catholic religious orders and their lay or secular orders, this all takes more time for processing than my previous sacraments. As for marriage, I am not even dating anyone at the time. These things are wayyyyy serious steps for contemplation. But, may I say I was honored that some of my friends wished for me the ultimate goals in my journey of sacramental life, and ready to encourage me to follow through with speed.
All this had me reflecting on God’s timing, how we allow the spirit to move us in ways that guide a full and fulfilling life of living in the will of God. There are times to celebrate twofer specials that give us a rapid good deal, a shock of a wonderfully great and joyous gift, as well as times when we take time to contemplate and listen for the Spirit to move us to new horizons. Being open to the balance and to the sweet call of spirit to lead us with speed or patience, with caution or abandon, but to constantly be the pulling force in our lives. This gives another sense for twofer, to gain both a sense of immediacy and living in the moment with the second gift of waiting expectantly. We can make a leap of faith, we can gently hold ourselves through time, getting a spectacular twofer the price of one, while listening to the spirit’s guide.
Here in the season of Advent (the 4 weeks leading to Christmas in the tradition Christian calendar) and Christmas this all came flooding back. Advent is supposed to be a time of waiting, yet we often rush through the season and through the experience of Christmas with such velocity. Yet when we experience the season of advent with expectant, patient waiting, or as they say here in Italy celebrate Piano, piano (a softly, slowly….) how much more is the joy of the greatness of the immediacy of Christmas, the on great day of birth of the Christ? In this time of year we have the opportunity to experience both the patient waiting with the excitement of the surprise arrival of the Christ.
In what ways have you been gloriously surprised with an over-abundance of blessings, a twofer? Have you ever felt overwhelmed by other’s encouragement, meant for the best, but possibly pushing too rapidly for the occasion? How do you find balance between waiting and leaping for opportunities?

No comments:

Post a Comment