Why THIS Blog

This Blog is designed to be a virtual retreat with daily reflections geared toward the public as well as specifically for the community of women at Church of Mary Magdalene / Mary's Place for homeless women. It is a site that pulls from the words of the women themselves on what they would like in a retreat if they could go somewhere else for a time. In this retreat we will do some globe trotting, based solely on my own travels as a spiritual director who enjoys volunteering for Mary's. All are welcome on our journey, in this era of financial woes there are many who need retreat and are unable to afford to travel. I hope this proves to be one more source of unending gift of spiritual retreat for renewal of life: mind-body-spirit!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Beautiful Walk

Normally for me a good walk does many things; it helps me relax, it provides exercise, time to contemplate/pray, and simply breathe. But a good walk becomes so much more when it brings new surprises. This happens most when I walk with other people, with friends, or in the Italian way of speaking, companions for the journey.
This is Holy Week and with it comes beautiful surprises in different ways. My friend Maria has requested I take photos of the processions in the village this week and so to prepare I have walked the route of the procession a couple of times, with different people with different great surprises.
Not knowing the exact route and with Maria asking that I take pictures from in front of the procession, I asked around and found my friend Eva to be a great resource. We were already scheduled to meet for a language exchange where she helps me with my Italian and I help her with English. Her daughter said she would know the route and so we started the walk. In rapid time we had each pulled out our notebooks as our conversation brought new words for both of us. We also talked of one great place to get a photo that was in need of a few plants trimmed to get a good shot. With a wink and a smile Eva assured me I should just come with my clippers and do the work.
We hadn’t walked too much further when there was a slight confusion of which way the route went exactly Thursday night and Friday night, because they are different. Then, as if totally on stage cue arrived Eva’s brother Paolo, who sings in the noon service on Sundays and knows the route well. We walked the rest of the way with his guidance and wisdom on the route. It was great fun conversing with the two of them, two of my favorite people to chat with in Piegaro. Truly a surprisingly beautiful morning walk.
Later I would walk the route again to take photos along the way to seek out the best vantage points for the nights of the processions. This time it was a weekday morning and many people were out enjoying the morning sun. As I walked I was struck by how many lovely women from the church I encountered, chatted with and took pictures of. A great reminder of the lovely community that I have such a love and fondness for.
Finally, on my walk with Maria we would review some of the vantage points for photos, and consult on which were best. We reviewed the photos later and she would make additional recommendations. I simply adore working in community with others, the sharing of surprising new ideas and creating something wonderful together. It is a great honor to be invited to share this experience of faith and tradition with my friends.
One of the great parts of this experiences for me is that it feels so like home in my heart. For 20 years I have participated, working in some way, in events of Holy Week within the church. Taking photos for friends in the church here gives me such joy. When I think of all the beautiful ways that Maria has blessed me in different ways over the last year, having her surprise me with the opportunity to do something for her in nothing short of a gift.
In what ways does your church family bless you?
In what ways do you find surprising joy in participating in various activities in your faith community?
How does this bring you closer to God, Jesus and Spirit during the Holy Week, in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment