Why THIS Blog

This Blog is designed to be a virtual retreat with daily reflections geared toward the public as well as specifically for the community of women at Church of Mary Magdalene / Mary's Place for homeless women. It is a site that pulls from the words of the women themselves on what they would like in a retreat if they could go somewhere else for a time. In this retreat we will do some globe trotting, based solely on my own travels as a spiritual director who enjoys volunteering for Mary's. All are welcome on our journey, in this era of financial woes there are many who need retreat and are unable to afford to travel. I hope this proves to be one more source of unending gift of spiritual retreat for renewal of life: mind-body-spirit!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Follow the Water

I remember fondly in the memories of my childhood the magic of streams and moving water. One of my favorite memories of my grandfather was him showing my brother and I a part of his job as a camp caretaker that he loved, and was so gross…he would throw the carcasses of dead salmon onto the creek shore for the eagles to get, and stop up the clog caused by them. In those days there was still a great chance to encourage the growth of wild salmon population through this method, now those streams see very few wild salmon. But watching granddad and then standing way back to see the eagles was so cool, the wonder of grandpa’s talent and the huge birds swooping, it was awesome! I also remember my mom and her sisters on a hot autumn day walking upstream, laughing and sharing stories and forbidding any kids from joining them, this was their time. I loved hearing them laugh, and even though we were disappointed to join them, us kids seemed to know this was a great experience for them. So I have an innate love for streams, they have a special place in my heart, they are a place where good things happen.

When people asked what part of Italy I was traveling to, many were surprised I was going to Umbria, the only state without any coastline in this narrow country surrounded by water. But instead, I have the stream below the town of Piegaro, and most days I venture down to the stream to get my fill of natural water: flowing, singing, tumbling toward the river just a few hundred meters away from my walking path. I love to see the water, hear the rushing song and enjoy the meadows and trees that follow its course.

Either upstream from the sheep’s meadow where I start, or downstream, I find the cement bridges currently in the wet season covered with moss. I wonder at what their original purpose was, and soon will ask as my Italian language improves. I find the bridges beautiful and fun to cross, at once exciting and leading to new places, a grand mini-adventure. I enjoy seeing familiar sights of streams that are common to my childhood memories, and I enjoy the new questions that spring from this new place. But mostly I enjoy the beauty of this place that quietly calls me and calms my soul. Is it the water, or a lot more? It is a gift, a treasure, a pure blessing to find a place that feeds my spirit and remind me of renewal of life.

Do you have a place that feeds your soul in a soothing calm way?
What kinds of feelings and memories does it invite in you?
What does the place say about your heart and being?


1 comment: