Why THIS Blog

This Blog is designed to be a virtual retreat with daily reflections geared toward the public as well as specifically for the community of women at Church of Mary Magdalene / Mary's Place for homeless women. It is a site that pulls from the words of the women themselves on what they would like in a retreat if they could go somewhere else for a time. In this retreat we will do some globe trotting, based solely on my own travels as a spiritual director who enjoys volunteering for Mary's. All are welcome on our journey, in this era of financial woes there are many who need retreat and are unable to afford to travel. I hope this proves to be one more source of unending gift of spiritual retreat for renewal of life: mind-body-spirit!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

All in Favor of the Mid-Life Crisis

There have been studies and stories of the tragedy of the mid-life crisis. That point in life when people reflect on the meaning of their life thus far and often do crazy things. The tell-tale sign for men is often the purchase of fast, sporty cars, for women it is travel and time for reflection.

As I sit here in Italy, with only enough Italian to order a beverage and have very small, very slow conversations with people who I have grown to love, and who upon reflection are so much like the people I left behind in America. And yet the simple act of getting away has done great things to feed my soul. One of the suggestions for this time of sabbatical was to constantly remember what I am here for. I have realized it really is about having a successful mid-life crisis.

My children are grown, my career as a congregational pastor over, and without romance. What a great time for a mid-life crisis! After 4 weeks I’m ready to make some changes to successfully settle into my chosen lifestyle here. I have had enough time to reflect on what is working well, and what isn’t in this temporary situation, which the essence of sabbatical work. The next work will be to do the work of reflecting on permanent life choices and how to take my next steps in life’s journey.
This is a beautifully successful mid-life crisis. I have time to pray, to reflect, but mostly to just LIVE. I have had time to dance, to write, to walk, chat, drink and to sing (tip: Karaoke is much easier in a foreign country). One of the great things for me this trip is to sit in the back of the church, to memorize the Eucharist words spoken with the congregation, and to feel at home away from the pulpit. It has made the transition so much easier.

Before arriving in Italy I was aware that at the center of my mid-life crisis was the need for transition in my life from living life from my head to living from my heart. It is at the core of what is important in life. I look forward to 4 more months of strengthening my heart for living; it is a good place to be. It is my prayer that all would have time to be in a supportive community to search heart and soul for how to live this one precious life we’ve been given.

.....This week for me, a scooter, a red one to travel out and about in the surrounding areas, but not too far from my new home as I search new adventures and bravely go new places!

No comments:

Post a Comment