Why THIS Blog

This Blog is designed to be a virtual retreat with daily reflections geared toward the public as well as specifically for the community of women at Church of Mary Magdalene / Mary's Place for homeless women. It is a site that pulls from the words of the women themselves on what they would like in a retreat if they could go somewhere else for a time. In this retreat we will do some globe trotting, based solely on my own travels as a spiritual director who enjoys volunteering for Mary's. All are welcome on our journey, in this era of financial woes there are many who need retreat and are unable to afford to travel. I hope this proves to be one more source of unending gift of spiritual retreat for renewal of life: mind-body-spirit!

Saturday, February 19, 2011

On a “Missione”

You know you have a true friend when they understand you before you say anything or when in a foreign country, you can’t say what you are thinking. When the caffe was closed for a week between change of ownership, my friend Maria took me to the next town over for morning cappuccino. Ever armed with my camera, I started taking pictures of this very pretty abandoned building across the street before climbing into the car. But before I could sit, Maria motioned me to go to the other side of the building.
Not only was the building lovely, but there in the front was a beautiful marker, a wrought iron cross and plaque. This lovely building had been a missione. Maria patiently waited while I walked the entire grounds taking pictures of all the structures that remained on this property that had become encircled by streets. Some of the buildings, such as the chicken coops were still in use. What struck me was the beauty of all the buildings, how even the coops were pretty. Not grandiose, but pretty, much as many of the villages and building in the countryside here. There is attention to detail, people care about the work being done that even an outbuilding be structurally practical and esthetically pleasing.
This Missione had done the work of God for years, in a simply beautiful manner, and this same care can be said to be reflected in the heart of my friend Maria. She had taken the care to ensure our routine of morning coffee not be missed, that I understand the importance of this building I was photographing and she took time patience to see that these beautiful things were revealed. Just as this Missione had served the people in the village of Tavernelli, so Maria served me.
How do you receive the love and care of others with awe and gratitude?
How do you offer yourself in Missione?

No comments:

Post a Comment